Flyer tips for the winter:
Safety is our top priority here at Bird, and we want to ensure that all our Flyers have the best possible experience, especially during inclement weather.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind while moving or charging vehicles in the winter:
• Visibility is reduced and roads are more slippery in the winter, so please be extra cautious when driving, picking up, and releasing vehicles.
• If releases are cancelled for weather reasons, you will receive a text message with instructions on what to do and when it is safe to release again.
We will send out text message instructions on how to proceed during inclement weather. If you do not receive these instructions, please proceed as usual. If the weather seems unsafe for vehicles to be out in the wild, and you believe you are not receiving any text message instructions, please make sure your phone number on file is up-to-date.
For charge tasks
• Always charge vehicles in covered and dry environments.
• When charging vehicles, make sure that the charging port is dry. If the port cover has been removed, make sure that the power cord is dry before charging the vehicle.
• If the outside temperature is below 41°F (5ºC), wait at least one hour after the vehicle has reached room temperature or at least 60°F (15ºC) to begin charging.
• Do not charge vehicles that have been underwater or covered in icicles or snow. If you see a Bird underwater or covered in ice, contact us via the Help section in the app, and our City Team will be sent for retrieval and further inspection.
• Make sure you are charging your vehicles in a safe space away from inclement weather. When the weather drops below 41°F (5ºC), refrain from charging vehicles outside: they are charged best at room temperature and insulated environments.
As a reminder, do not:
• Put a heating blanket on the vehicles
• Put them in a room over 80ºF (27ºC)
• Heat them directly with any kind of electric/fuel heater
• Put them less than three feet (one meter) from any heating device (i.e. radiator, electric wall heater, etc.)